Saturday, September 25, 2010

Life

Well it's been quite sometime since I've written here, but I feel the need to write something; so let's see where this ends up.

Well life has change a lot the last few weeks, in fact there was a weekend that seemed like everything became new. From Friday to Monday life was changed for me. But let's start with the Sunday. I was introduced at Braeside EMC that day, with the title of Associate Pastor of Youth Ministry. I'm not sure what that all means, or really why I'm there but I suppose I can say that it's where God has called me. Sometimes I feel pretty inadequate at the position. I mean, me, a pastor, really? Should a youth pastor be the guy with the earring and goatee who's got all the energy in the world; but that's not me. I mean sure I have some energy, I can keep up in most situation, but I'm certainly not the loud, high energy guy that normally wields the title. I'm pretty quiet, pretty reserved, an introvert at heart. Add to that the one committed youth sponsor, and all in all I'm starting to feel like this could be a flop. So we kicked off youth Friday night and there was about 15 people there, and some pizza, and we played sardines and it was a decent time. Then we sat down and talked about some things that they, the youth wanted to do over the next year; but then came joy. I sat down in front of them and introduced the book of Colossians. Mouths went quiet, eyes focused on me, and they took in information. Discussion wasn't the most lively, but when I talked about what the Bible said, set out the background, they took interest in the word of God. And I guess that's why I'm here. I don't have all the answers, I'm not the wisest man around, or the most silly, 'fun' youth pastor one could have; but I love, love stretching people, especially youth, to know God better, to learn about Him, and focus their lives on Him. Discipleship, thats where my passion lies. My hope and prayer is that God would call out leaders from the church to help this ministry and to disciple these youth to a mature Christian faith.

The day after that Sunday I started a second new job, this one a bit more familiar. I stayed on with Youth for Christ this year after the summer at camp to fill the role of Guy's Follow-Up Co-ordinator; another fancy title that I'm really not sure what it is. I organize nights for guy's to come out and have some fun; but why? How do we take a night of video games, and turn it into something that reveals the glory of God to these guys. How do we show a world that is so focused on themselves, on temporary pleasures, on greed, on fame, on sex; that there is something so much more, so much better, true love that they are missing. I don't have an answer, only a prayer, that God would be at work.

Two new jobs, both seemly enough work to be more then full time; squeezing each into part time and trying to make them strong ministries, one of which is dependent on my ability to find supporters to donate my salary. Stress.

But there is peace and comfort that came that weekend too! The kind that both comforts and scares me; that relieves my stress and adds new elements of concern.

This is life, always changing, never easy, and striving for God's glory and grace

2 comments:

  1. Brad! That is so exciting! I have visited that church before, and I am so glad that you have been called to serve there! (I realize that I am excessively using exclamation points, but I really am excited). Its awesome to discover another friend who has gained the scary title of youth pastor at the same time as me. I hope we can bounce ideas, vent, grieve, rejoice, and grow with each other as we learn these roles. Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and P.S. I know you'll serve God Braeside Well. You're going to be an awesome Youth Pastor. They are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete