Monday, January 11, 2010

Examine Sympathy

Well I'm gunna rag on Oswald Chambers again, see citation info from my last post. Let me first say that though it may seem like I'm picking on him there is a lot to be taken from his devotional, and for the most part I'm satisfied with us using it at work. But given a high exposure to a writer, it is only natural that one would run into differences of opinion or belief or what-have-you.

So these quotes come from Dec 20

"We must be willing to examine others as deeply as God examined us"

Impossible. Simply put we cannot, only God knows our every thought, can examine everything that ever happens in our word, deed and mind. I can't even attempt to know someone on that level. I cannot and will not attempt to put myself on par with God himself. I love to get to know people, to hear about there struggles and successes, but the level of God is simply unfathomable knowledge that escapes my capacity.
"If you think you are helping people with your sympathy and understanding, you are a traitor to Jesus Christ"

This one however is the one that true hits me the wrong way hard. I am, according to Chambers here, a traitor to Christ. Not because I sin, not because my fallenness over comes me, but because my ministry is apparently traitorous. I show sympathy for Winnipeg's less fortunate by helping in providing a bed for them for the night, attempting to understand their hardships and offer some sort of relief; often people come in and are asleep within minutes of walking through the doors. I understand that there are limitations to the help we offer, I understand that all will pass on one day from this world to the next, I understand that the only way to true freedom is Christ the Lord. Now it's no secret that the work done by Siloam is in the name of Christ and that all those who are working there hold to Christian faith, but I don't always share the Gospel with everyone comes in. I build relationships with some, I learn about the struggles of some, I get to tell some about the joy of Christ, the hope of Christ; but for some all I can do is demonstrate the love of God an pray that they would one day as why.
Take a read through Luke 10
Perhaps start around 10:25, and ask if sympathy and understanding are shown by the good Samaritan. Are we conclude that what he did was not helpful? Or is it that we are to conclude that Christ himself was advocating treason? I see no other option.

He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment